What are the ways used to reduce friction?
Methods of reducing friction
- Make surfaces smooth by grinding.
- Streamlined body.
- Reduce pressure or weight on the object.
- Reduce contact between surfaces by electrostatic magnetic levitation etc.
- Use rolling friction instead of sliding friction.
- Use fluid friction instead of the dry friction.
What are two ways of decreasing friction?
By polishing the surface, as polishing makes the surface smooth and friction can be reduced. Using lubricants such as oil or grease can reduce the friction between the surfaces. When objects are rolled over the surface, the friction between the rolled object and surface can be reduced by using ball bearings.
What is the three disadvantages of friction?
Three disadvantages of friction are :
- Friction produces heat which damages the moving parts of a machine.
- Friction produces wear and tear on the contacting surfaces. This reduces the life of machine parts, tyres and shoe soles.
- A lot of energy is wasted in overcoming the friction before an object starts moving.
What are three ways to reduce friction?
Generally, there are three ways to reduce friction: 1. The use of bearing surfaces that are themselves sacrificial, such as low shear materials, of which lead/copper journal bearings are an example. 2. Replace sliding friction with rolling element friction, such as with the use of rolling element bearings.
Which are methods reduce friction?
Make surfaces smooth by grinding
- Streamlined body
- Reduce pressure or weight on the object
- Reduce contact between surfaces by electrostatic magnetic levitation etc
- Use rolling friction instead of sliding friction
- Use fluid friction instead of the dry friction
What can reduce friction?
A common way to reduce friction is by using a lubricant, such as oil, water, or grease, which is placed between the two surfaces, often dramatically lessening the coefficient of friction. The science of friction and lubrication is called tribology.
How can we increase friction?
Friction can be increased by increasing the normal force. That’s how brakes work. Alternatively, it can be increased by making a high coefficient of friction surface, roughing it or softening it.