How long do you go to jail for possession of a firearm?
For example, the minimum prison sentence for firearms offences is five years for an adult and three years for a 16 or 17-year-old. The maximum prison sentence for firearms offences is typically ten years, but if other crimes are involved, then it could even be life imprisonment.
What is the sentence for weapons possession?
It is an offence to use, supply, acquire or possess a stolen firearm or firearm part, or to give possession of a stolen firearm or firearm part to another person: s 51H(1). The maximum penalty is 14 years imprisonment.
What is legally considered a rifle?
The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.
What are the five ruleS of gun ownership?
5 Basic firearms safety ruleS
- always keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction. treat all firearms as if they were loaded.
- be certain of your target, your line of fire, and what lies beyond your target.
- always wear appropriate eye and ear protection when shooting and maintaining your firearm. CUSTOMER SERVICE.
Is a Taser a section 5 firearm?
A taser/stun gun falls under s. 5(1)(b) of the Firearms Act. This is defined as “any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing”. This definition usually includes stun guns, electric shock devices and CS gas.
What happens if your caught with a taser?
The maximum sentence for possessing a taser/stun gun is 10 years’ imprisonment. The Magistrates’ Court maximum sentencing powers are limited to 6 months’ imprisonment (for a single offence without credit for an early guilty plea). Due to the serious nature of the offence it is highly likely that offences under s.
What are the kinds of firearms license?
TYPES OF LICENSES ISSUED TO INDIVIDUALS
- Type 1 License – Maximum of two (2) firearms.
- Type 2 License – Maximum of five (5) firearms.
- Type 3 License – Maximum of ten (10) firearms.
- Type 4 License – Maximum of fifteen (15) firearms.
- Type 5 License – More than fifteen (15) firearms.
How long does a barrel have to be to be considered a rifle?
A rifle is subject to the NFA only if the rifle has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length. A weapon made from a rifle is also a firearm subject to the NFA if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.