What Japanese stamps are worth money?
Most valuable Japanese stamps
- $124,635. Tama 6 yo stamp, 1875.
- $22,248. Cherry blossom 1 sen stamp, 1875.
- $14,832. Dragon 1 sen blue stamp, 1872.
- $11,210. Ryuku Islands airmail error stamp, 1960.
- $9,641. Cherry Blossom 6 sen violet brown, 1874.
- $8,158. Cherry Blossom 20s red violet stamp, 1874.
How do you identify Japanese stamps?
Another useful identifier of Japanese stamps is their currency : Sen or Rin. Today, most stamps of Japan have NIPPON written on them. Some early Japanese stamps also had ‘Imperial Japanese Post’ on them, making them easy to identify. But the older ones use the kanji symbols as I have shown you above.
Are stamped stamps worth anything?
Because so many stamps have been produced worldwide, avid stamp collectors, also referred to as philatelists, are well aware that only the rarest stamps hold significant value. Experts carefully study factors such as condition, age, and rarity to determine stamp collection value.
How do I know if the stamps I have are valuable?
How to Determine Stamp Values
- Identify the stamp.
- Find out when was the stamp issued.
- Know the stamp’s age and material used.
- Determine the centering of the design.
- Check the stamp’s gum.
- Determine the condition of the perforations.
- See if the stamp has been cancelled or not.
- Find out the rarity of the stamp.
Are old Japanese stamps worth money?
Stamps of Japan can often be observed at different stamp auctions all around the globe. Interestingly, this country has a variety of rare and valuable stamps; however, they do not always get high realization prices at philatelic events.
Which old stamps are worth money?
Stamp collecting, also known as philately, is a hobby as old as stamps themselves….The Four Main Elements of a Stamp.
|The Inverted Jenny||1918||$1.35 Million|
|1c Benjamin Franklin Z Grill||1868||$935,000|
|3c George Washington w/ B Grill||1867||$900,000|
Are Chinese stamps valuable?
Most Chinese stamps are not worth much and sell at a large discount to catalog value(CV). This discount varies tremendously from stamp to stamp, but on average high-value Chinese Stamps sell for 30-60% of catalog value. This is just a general rule of thumb and there are lots of exceptions.
What stamps are collectors looking for?
The 10 Most Valuable U.S. Stamps
- The Inverted Jenny. (Courtesy of Siegel Auction Gallery)
- 1847 Issue Block of 16 of Ben Franklin.
- Almanac Stamp of 1765 or 1766.
- ‘Blue Boy’ Alexandria Postmaster’s Provisional.
- 1869 Pictorials—Inverted Center Errors.
- Two-Cent Blue Hawaiian Missionary.
- 1860 Stolen Pony Cover.
- Pan American Inverts.
What Chinese stamps are valuable?
The Most Valuable and Rare Stamps of China
- Red Stamp of 1969. Price Realized: $1,860,000.
- Red Revenue. Price Realized: $889,500.
- Surcharge Invert. Price Realized: $276,000.
- 3-Cent Red Revenue Stamp. Price Realized: $222,600.
- Blue-Green Surcharge Invert.
- Classics Inverted Stamp.
- Sun Yat-Sen Stamp.
- Red Revenue Unsurcharged Stamp.
What stamps are worth money today?
8 Rare U.S. Stamps That Are Worth Serious Money
- Inverted Jenny Stamp.
- 3c George Washington Stamp.
- 1c Benjamin Franklin Stamp (1868)
- 24c Declaration of Independence stamp.
- 1c Benjamin Franklin Stamp (1851)
- 30c Shield, Eagle, and Flags Stamp.
- 1c Benjamin Franklin Vertical Pair.
- 15c Landing of Columbus Stamp.
How do you appraise old stamps?
Look for an appraiser through authoritative sources like official stamp collection societies. The American Philatelic Society notes you may pay anywhere from $75 to $250 an hour to have the stamps/collection appraised. Some local groups, like the Northern Philatelic Society, may offer free appraisal services.
Which is the brightest philatelic stamp in Japan?
Japan 1874 Cherry Blossom 6 sen violet brown is one of the brightest Japanese philatelic rarities. This stamp was printed on Western paper instead of Japanese paper. To guarantee the number of stamps issued as well as the face value, a tiny character from the katakana syllabary was included within the printed area.
What’s the value of a piece of Nippon?
The Nippon market is tricky. There are so many pieces of Nippon out there that value varies widely. Some undecorated pieces of Nippon are only worth a few dollars. Some pieces command between $100 and $500 depending on the piece, condition, decoration, and other factors.
How can you tell if a stamp is from Japan?
Look at the stamps below carefully & you will see these two symbols in each stamp. Another useful identifier of Japanese stamps is their currency : Sen or Rin. Today, most stamps of Japan have NIPPON written on them.
How much is the most expensive Japanese stamp?
This stamp that has catalogue value of $336,900 was sold for $124,635 at the Postiljonen Jubilee Auction #200 on the 28th of April 2012 in Malmö, Sweden. 1875 cherry blossom 1 sen brown is considered among the classic rarities of Japanese postal history. There were two varieties of this hand engraved stamp issued.